Police’ and ‘law and order’ fall under the category of subjects within the domain of the State as per Entry 2 of List II of the VIIth Schedule in the Constitution of India. Thus, the principal responsibility for managing these subjects lies with the State Governments. However, the States have not been able to fully modernize and equip their police forces upto the desired level due to financial constraints. It is in this context that the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has been supplementing the efforts and resources of the States, from time to time, by implementing the Scheme for Modernisation of State Police Forces (MPF Scheme) since 1969-70.
Modernisation of State Police Forces (MPF) Scheme
The objective of the scheme is to gradually reduce the dependence of the State Governments on the Army and the Central Armed Police Forces to control internal security and law and order situations by equipping the State Police Forces adequately and strengthening their training infrastructure. The focus of the scheme is to strengthen police infrastructure at cutting edge level by construction of secure police stations, training centres, police housing (residential), equipping the police stations with the required mobility, modern weaponry, communication equipment and forensic set-up etc.
Continuation of MPF Scheme for a period of five years 2012-13 to 2016-17:
- The Government has approved the proposal for continuation of the Scheme of Modernization of State Police Forces (MPF Scheme) for five years from 2012-13 to 2016-17 under ‘Non-Plan’ and ‘Plan’, with an allocation of Rs.8628.43 crore under ‘Non-Plan’ (including Rs.432.90 crore for Mega City Policing for Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Bengaluru) and Rs.3750.87 crore in the ‘Plan’.
- The actual allocation of funds to State Governments under the Scheme, both under ‘Non-Plan’ and ‘Plan’, would, however, depend upon the budgetary resources made available by the Ministry of Finance and Planning Commission in each financial year. The allocation of available funds amongst the States under the Scheme shall be made by MHA on pro-rata basis, in terms of the distribution ratio approved for this purpose.
- The items required by the State Police under the components, ‘mobility’, ‘weapons’, ‘equipment’, ‘training equipment’, ‘forensic equipment’, etc. shall be funded under ‘Non-Plan’. The construction / upgradation of police stations / outposts, police lines, police housing, construction of forensic science laboratories and training infrastructure (buildings) shall be funded under ‘Plan’ components of MPF
Funds Allocation/Releases to States under CSS
|1||Information regarding the State wise allocation for Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS) for the year 2017-18..||Download (411.08 KB)|
- Under the Scheme, the States are grouped into two categories, namely Category ‘A’ and Category ‘B’ for the purpose of funding both under ‘Non-Plan’ and Plan. Category ‘A’ States, namely, J&K and 8 North Eastern States including Sikkim will be eligible to receive financial assistance on 90:10 Centre: State sharing basis. The remaining States will be in Category ‘B’ and will be eligible for financial assistance on 60:40 Centre: State sharing basis.
- During the 12th Five Year Plan, the actual allocations for Scheme of Modernization of State Police Forces (MPF Scheme) are indicated in the table given below:
(Rs.in crore) Year Plan Non Plan Total 2012-13 0.00 300.00 300.00 2013-14 1097.00 750.00* 1847.00** 2014-15 900.00 600.00 1500.00 2015-16 - 595.00 595.00 2016-17 - 595.00 595.00
- *Revised to Rs. 245.00 at RE 2013-14
- **Revised to Rs. 1342.00 crore at RE 2013-14
|1||Scheme for Modernization of state Police Forces(MPF Scheme)-additional allocation for the year 2014-15..||Download (1.32 MB)|
|2||Provision of Basic Infrastructure Amenities for Women Police Force - Implementation of the Scheme for Modernization of State Police Forces for five years w.e.f. 2012-13 to 2016-17 - Guidelines to state Governments- regarding.||Download (33.3 KB)|
|3||State Action Plans (SAP) for Modernization of State Police Forces during 2016-17.||Download (107.23 KB)|
|4||State Action Plan (SAP) for Modernization of State Police Forces during 2014-2015.||Download (84.24 KB)|
|5||Detailed guidelines regarding implementation of the MPF Scheme during the period 2012-13 to 2016-17.||Download (57.21 KB)|
|6||Impact Assessment of Modernization Scheme of CPMFs||Download (249.98 KB)|
|7||Impact Assessment of Modernization of Police Forces (MPF) From 2000 to 2010||Download (644.76 KB)|
|8||Assessment Report – Impact Assessment of the Modernization of Police Forces Scheme from the year 2000-01 to 2008-09||Download (6.05 MB)|
|9||Format for the Annual Action Plan (AAP) and Strategic planning||Download (161.04 KB)|