The Division deals with the internal security and law & order situation in the North-Eastern States, including matters relating to insurgency and talks with various extremist groups operating in that region.
North East Division
- The North East Division created for focusing on the developmental and security issues relating to the North Eastern Region.
- Unlike other parts of the country, the North East holds an important position from a strategic point of view as these states share their borders with other countries like Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar and China. The terrain, the state of Socio-economic development and historical factors such as language/ethnicity, tribal rivalry, migration, control over local resources and a widespread feeling of exploitation and alienation have resulted in a fragile security situation in the North Eastern States. This has resulted in violence and diverse demands by various Indian Insurgent Groups (IIGs).
- Ministry of Home Affairs is taking all possible steps to address the genuine demands of various ethnic groups for development and for autonomy in managing their affairs. While the infrastructural developments like road, rail link, power supply, water supply etc. are dealt with by Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region and various other line Ministries, the issues relating to strengthening of security, rehabilitation of people affected by militancy, bringing underground outfits to the main-stream through negotiations, confidence-building measures etc. are looked after by the North East Division. Diplomatic initiatives pertaining to security-related issues with Bangladesh and Myanmar are also taken to strengthen the security situation there.
|States||Population(as per Census 2011)||Area(Sq Km)||Percentage All India||Density of Population(per Sq Km)|
|1||Organizational Chart||Download (80.55 KB)|
NOTIFICATIONS UNDER THE UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES (PREVENTION) ACT [UAPA], 1967
|1||NOTIFICATIONS UNDER THE UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES (PREVENTION) ACT [UAPA], 1967||Click Here|
THE ARMED FORCES (SPECIAL POWER) ACT, 1958
|1||NOTIFICATIONS UNDER ARMED FORCES (SPECIAL POWER) ACT, 1958||Click Here|
ISSUES HANDLED BY THE NORTH EAST DIVISION
- Implementation of various Accords/Agreements signed with different groups in NER.
- Border disputes between Assam and its neighbouring States.
- Security Related Expenditure (SRE) claims of the North –Eastern States.
- Bilateral Talks on security related issues with Bangladesh and Myanmar.
- Monitoring of Law & Order situation and insurgency related activities in the North Eastern States..
- Surrender and Rehabilitation Policy for NE States.
- Administration of Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 and implementation of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 in NER. .
- Scheme of Civic Action Programme for NER..
- Peace talks with various insurgent groups of North Eastern Region..
- Helicopter Services in the North Eastern States..
- Resettlement of Bru migrants in Tripura..
- Security-related issues relating to Tibetan refugees.
OFFICERS OF NE DIVISION
Position as on 1st August 2022
|SR-No||Name||Designation||Official Address||Telephone No.||Email-ID|
|1||Shri Piyush Goyal||Additional Secretary (NE)||Room No. 171-A, North Block, New Delhi-110001||23092736(O)||jsne[at]nic[dot]in|
|2||Shri A.K.Dhyani||Director(NE)||Room No. 216-A, North Block, New Delhi -110001||23092485(O)||dirne[at]mha[dot]gov[dot]in|
|3||Shri N. R. Minz||Deputy Secretary (NE.I)||Room No.93-D, North Block, New Delhi -110001||23092605(O)||nr[dot]minz[at]nic[dot]in|
|4||Shri R. K. Pandey||Deputy Secretary (NE.II)||Room No.222- C, North Block, New Delhi -110001||23092956(O)||raj[dot]pandey[at]gov[dot]in|
|5||Shri Y P Nautiyal||Second-in-Command(NE)||Room No. 108-C, North Block, New Delhi-110001||--||yp[dot]nautiyal[at]gov[dot]in|
MAJOR INITIATIVES/ ACHIEVEMENTS
|1||MAJOR INITIATIVES/ ACHIEVEMENTS SINCE 2014||Download (2.04 MB)|
Status of Peace process
|1||STATUS OF PEACE PROCESS||Download (399.7 KB)|
INSURGENCY IN NORTH-EAST
|1||INSURGENCY IN NORTH-EAST||Download (4.22 MB)|
BRIEF DETAILS OF SCHEMES ADMINISTERED BY NE DIVISION
|1||Reimbursement of Security Related Expenditure (SRE)||Download (585.98 KB)|
|2||Scheme for Surrender-cum-Rehabilitation of militants in North East||Download (450.47 KB)|
|3||Civic Action Programme in North Eastern States||Download (416.14 KB)|
|4||Resettlement of Bru Migrants||Download (613.93 KB)|
|5||Helicopter Service in the North East||Download (481.17 KB)|