Shri Amit Shah
Amit Shah was born to Smt. Kusumben and Shri Anilchandra Shah, in an affluent Gujarati family on 22nd October 1964. Amit Shah represents the emerging New India in every sense of the term. Leading the Party from the front for the last five years, he has been remarkably successful in expanding BJP’s organisational foot print, securing one electoral victory after the other in State assembly elections. During his tenure, Party has become the world’s largest political party with over 10 crore registered members.
Amit Shah has risen to Head the ruling Party of India literally from the grass roots. Initially, he joined the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh and later became an active member of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), to become its Ahmedabad city unit secretary. Later, he also shouldered the responsibilities of Secretary as well as Vice President of BJP,Gujarat State. In 1997, he became National Treasurer of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM).His dedication, dexterity and above all result oriented performance made him In-Charge of several election campaigns of the National Leaders including that of L K Advani in 1991, Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 1996, both in Gandhi Nagar Parliamentary constituency. No wonder, when Shri Narendra Modi had decided to contest his first Assembly Election in 2001 from Rajkot-2 assembly constituency, Amit Shah was again theCampaign Chief
Beyond campaigns, Amit Shah also became known for his adroit handling of organisational matters. In 2013, he was appointed as National General Secretary of the BJP and In-Charge of Uttar Pradesh. His painstakingly carried out efforts earned BJP a historic success in the Parliamentary elections of 2014. He took over as BJP National President in July 2014 and from there onwards there is literally no looking back. During the last five years, under the twin leadership of PM Narendra Modi and Party President Amit Shah,BJP has successfully formed Govts in Haryana,Gujarat, Arunachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Tripura and Himachal Pradesh. Also, together with alliance partners, BJP has returned to power in States like Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Assam, Goa, and Manipur. Till recently in Jammu and Kashmir and currently in Bihar, Nagaland and Meghalaya, BJP is the junior partner of the ruling coalition
- A man of many parts,Amit Shah is an avid Cricket lover,a sports person himself and a voracious reader whose major interests are history and literature.Being a religious person from the core of heart,Amit Shah has a strong bond with Somnath Jyotirlinga On 22 Feb 2016, he became a trustee of the Somnath Trust, Gujarat.
Details of Elected positions held by Shri Amit Shah
As a legislator, served as
In the co-operative sector
In the fields of sports ---
- A five term MLA of Gujarat assembly (1997–2017), Amit Shah was elected from Sarkhej Assembly Constituency for four consecutive elections andfrom Naranpura Assembly Constituency in 2012. In the assembly election of 2002, Amit Shah was elected with the record margin of 1,58,036 vote, which created history in Gujarat assembly elections. Again in 2007, he defeated Congress party nominee by the highest margin of 2,32,823 votes for the fourth consecutive time.
- Amit Shah was elected to Rajya Sabha, the Upper House of the Parliament on 19 August 2017 from Gujarat state.
- In the General election 2019, Amit Shah has won with a whopping margin of 5,57,014 (70% vote share) from the 06-Gandhinagar Lok Sabha constituency of Gujarat state.
- Chairman of Public Undertakings Committee of the Gujarat State Assembly.
- Worked for two terms as - Minister of State for Home, Police Housing, Border Security, Civil Defense, Home Guards, Gram Rakshak Dal, Prison, Prohibition, Excise, Transport in the Ministry of Chief Minister Shri NarendraModi.
- Served as Chairman, the Ahmedabad Dist. Co.opp. Bank, (22 Jan 2000 to 22 Dec 2002) which is the lead bank of 367 district Co.Opp. Banks of India. This loss-making bank was turned into profit making ensuring that shareholders get some dividend on their investment. Also, played key role in preparing revival package of Rs 400 crore for the then dysfunctionalMadhavpura Mercantile Co-Op bank. The amount so received was distributed to the small depositors
- Director- The Gujarat State Urban Co.Op. Bank Federation ltd.
- Director- National Federation of Urban co-opp. Banks &Credit Society, Delhi (NAFCUB)
- Director- Ahmedabad Central Consumers Co.Op. Federation ltd
- Director- Gujarat State Co-Op. Marketing Federation ltd
- Director- The Gujarat State Co-Opp Bank Ltd.
- Director– The Ahmedabad Dist. Co. Op. Bank Ltd
- President of Gujarat Cricket Association
- President- Gujarat State Chess Association (23 April 2006 to 18 April 2010)
- Member- Finance Committee of Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI)(From 24 Sept 2009)
- Vice President for Gujarat Cricket Association (15 Sept 2009 to 13 June 2014)
- Executive Member – The Central Board of Cricket, Ahmedabad
- Member- Executive and Working Committee of Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI)
- Amit Shah is a trustee of the Somnath Trust, Gujarat since 22 Feb 2016.